From: Andreas Fink <finkandreas@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge completly a package but dont install it?
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2018 07:29:22
1 On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 19:12:37 +0200
2 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > is it possible to go through process of installing a not-installed
7 > package from source to executable ... without actually install the
8 > package - so the system as such is not touched?
9 >
10 > Cheers
11 > Meino
16 You can use ebuild for that. The commands to build without merging
17 would be
18 ebuild /usr/portage/my-package/my-ebuild-file.ebuild install
19
20 This will download, unpack, build, and install the package into your
21 temporary portage build directory (usually /var/tmp/portage). It will
22 not resolve any dependencies though, this has to be done beforehand.
23
24 The temporary install directory is called "image" in the temporary
25 directory.
26
27 You can also go through the whole process step by step,
28 ebuild /usr/portage/my-package/my-ebuild-file.ebuild unpack
29 ebuild /usr/portage/my-package/my-ebuild-file.ebuild compile
30 ebuild /usr/portage/my-package/my-ebuild-file.ebuild install
31 ebuild /usr/portage/my-package/my-ebuild-file.ebuild qmerge
32 ebuild /usr/portage/my-package/my-ebuild-file.ebuild clean
33
34 the qmerge command will install it into your system, so this is the
35 step, that you do not want to execute ;)
36
37 Cheers
38 Andreas