From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] New install boots but grub just says: grub>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 04:17:50
1 I've done a new install this evening. The install went OK as far as I
2 could tell. I didn't wipe the disk but I did make new file systems
3 using mke2fs for both /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda7. I then installed NT in
4 /dev/hda0 and finally did Gentoo. The grub-0.97-r5 install seemed to
5 go OK, however when I boot I jsut get some grub messages (Stage 1,
6 Stage 1.5) and then just
7
8 grub >
9
10 where the machine sits. Grub auto-completion is working so I type
11
12 root (hd0,4)
13 kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.24-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/hda7
14
15 and then
16
17 boot
18
19 and at this point the machine boots fine. (Well, except for networking
20 but I'll deal with that later.
21
22 I know that grub-0.97-r5 has caused some folks problems over the last
23 couple of days. The hard drive in this machine was used in a previous
24 dual boot machine so maybe I'm getting burned by the same 0.97-r5
25 things?
26
27 What would cause grub to sit there and wait for me to type in the
28 stuff that's in grub.conf anyway?
29
30 Thanks,
31 Mark