From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tell cron to send email using sender:passwd@host:587 syntax?
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 20:04:41
1 On 2013-11-16 2:29 PM, Benjamin Lee <ben@××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 09:05:52 -0500, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > [...]
4 >> I think all I need to do is figure out how to tell cron to send emails
5 >> the same way as portage using sender:passwd@××××××××××××.com:587 (using
6 >> TLS), but alas, my google-fu is failing on this one... I can't find a
7 >> single mention anywhere of alternate examples of sending emails with
8 >> cron, much less using sender:passwd@host:587 syntax...
9 >>
10 >> So... anyone? I can't imagine it isn't possible... ?
11 >
12 > You're asking about cron, which is the wrong question.
13
14 No...
15
16 I know all about running a local MTA.
17
18 My real question is, why can portage do this (send emails without a
19 local MTA installed)?
20
21 Why did the gentoo devs decide to build an smtp client into it capable
22 of doing TLS, instead of simply requiring an MTA to be able to email
23 emerge logs?