From: Per-Erik Westerberg <per-erik.westerberg@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Legacy GRUB vs GRUB2
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:05:21
1 tis 2010-06-22 klockan 12:15 -0700 skrev walt:
2 > On 06/22/2010 11:44 AM, Dale wrote:
3 > > Tanstaafl wrote:
4 > >> On 2010-06-18 12:17 PM, Bill Longman wrote:
5 > >>> And finally, don't even mention how braindead the "new" improved
6 > >>> grub is. I wonder how anyone can feel that having to write six
7 > >>> paragraphs> in some one-off bash-like language, which needs to be
8 > >>> debugged, is better than four lines in a config file.
9 > >> This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask...
10 > >>
11 > >> Since I have no desire to experience this new 'improved' GRUB, but don't
12 > >> like LILO - how long will it be before I'll be forced to make a choice?
13 > >> Meaning, how long will legacy GRUB still be supported?
14 > >>
15 > >
16 > > If I read the home page correctly, they are not really doing much more than bug fixes on the old grub. That was my reading at least. I'm dreading that day too. I sort of like my old grub. I started on lilo and grub has seriously grown on me. I'll switch
17 > > to the new grub tho. I have NO plans to go back to lilo. None whatsoever ! !
18 >
19 > IIUC the change will be forced by mobo manufacturers when they adopt the
20 > newer partition tables and boot/BIOS methods . They have catchy acronyms
21 > that I can't remember, naturally, but we've all seen them discussed in this
22 > group from time to time. Don't buy new mobos and you can stick to old grub.
26 Is there a GRUB to GRUB2 migration guide somewhere in the Gentoo
27 Documentation?
28
29 BR / P-E