From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CUPS and old java (commercial software)
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:18:42
1 On 8 Jul, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 08 July 2009 16:47:57 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I'm in need to use some commercial software (Matlab and Maple) which
6 >> come with their own (probably old) version of Java.
7 >>
8 >> Now, both of those software packages cannot print, they don't see any
9 >> CUPS printer UNLESS I remove the symlink /usr/lib/libcups.so which
10 >> points to libcups.so.2
11 >>
12 >> But some GenToo packages do need that link, e.g. x11-lib/qt-gui won't
13 >> install unless that link is there.
14 >>
15 >> I remember there is a bug with older versions of Java accessing CUPS,
16 >> and probably my commercial packages contain such an old version.
17 >>
18 >> Does anybody know how to fix or circumvent this.
19 >> (Currently I have to remove the symlink when using one of these
20 >> commercial packages and reinstall it afterwards, but ... for a normal
21 >> user without root priviledges that's not possible unless I write an SUID
22 >> script)
23 >>
24 >> Thanks for any hints,
25 >
26 > Just an idea, not tested:
27 >
28 > Is there another "libcups.so" file somewhere?
29 > If yes, create a wrapper-script that puts the location of the other
30 > "libcups.so" file first in the search list for the LDPATH-variable.
33 Unfortunately, there are only two of them
34 /usr/lib32/libcups.so
35 and
36 /usr/lib64/libcups.so
37
38 where /usr/lib is a symlink to /usr/lib64