From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: tmp on tmpfs
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 16:06:56
1 On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 10:16 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On May 25, 2017 1:04:07 PM GMT+02:00, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>Am Thu, 25 May 2017 08:34:10 +0200
4 >>schrieb "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>:
5 >>
6 >>> It is possible. I have it set up like that on my laptop.
7 >>> Apart from a small /boot partition. The whole drive is encrypted.
8 >>> Decryption keys are stored encrypted in the initramfs, which is
9 >>> embedded in the kernel.
10 >>
11 >>And the kernel is on /boot which is unencrypted, so are your encryption
12 >>keys. This is not much better, I guess...
13 >
14 > A file full of random characters is encrypted using GPG.
15 > Unencrypted, this is passed to cryptsetup.
16 >
17 > The passphrase to decrypt the key needs to be entered upon boot.
18 > How can this be improved?
21 The need to enter a passphrase was the missing bit here. I thought
22 you were literally just storing the key in the clear.
23
24 As far as I can tell gpg symmetric encryption does salting and
25 iterations by default, so you're probably fairly secure. I'm not sure
26 if the defaults were always set up this way - if you set up that file
27 a long time ago you might just want to check that, unless your
28 passphrase is really complex.
31 Rich