From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 02:49:33
1 On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 19:01 -0600, Mike Myers wrote:
2 > I just wanted to add something to the original post.
3 >
4 > I've recently began experimenting with Debian and noticed their
5 > updating system is exactly like what I was asking about. Basically,
6 > there's package updates, and then there's distro updates. Why is it
7 > unreasonable for Gentoo to have something like this? I think it would
8 > help Gentoo a lot in the server market, where scalability is
9 > important.
10
11 Gentoo has "system" and "world" - in concept almost the same thing
12
13 Apologies if this has been pointed out already.
14
15 However, on most of my machines "system" is empty (went that way soon
16 after each install - no idea why) so all I am left with is "world". Is
17 there any way to regen "system"? (like regenworld does for world?)
18 Perhaps a "system" file can be manually created using only the packages
19 from world that the user wants?
20
21 BillK
25 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>