From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Using one of my machines as a partial mirror for distfiles?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 16:26:26
1 I have two machines. To be "kinder and gentler" on the mirrors, I've
2 set things up so that my emergency machine (1999 Dell 450mhz PIII with
3 128 megs of RAM) uses my main machine as the mirror for "emerge --sync".
4
5 The next step is to use my main machine as the first place to look for
6 tarballs if they're not in /usr/portage/distfiles on the PIII, and then
7 go on to the next mirror. Since I set up the PIII as my emergency "hot
8 backup" for my main machine, the apps on both machines are generally the
9 same, but unlike the portage tree, I can't guarantee that it'll be
10 exactly the same, so rsync is out. On my main machine...
11 GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.netnitco.net ftp://cs.ubishops.ca/pub/gentoo ftp://gentoo.risq.qc.ca/"
12
13 Assuming that I set up ftpd or httpd properly on my main machine,
14 would it work if I set my second machines's mirrors to something like...
15
16 GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://192.168.123.252/distfiles/ http://gentoo.netnitco.net ftp://cs.ubishops.ca/pub/gentoo ftp://gentoo.risq.qc.ca/"
19 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
20 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca