From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: "김무성" <kimms@××××××××××.kr>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel upgrade error
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:55:48
1 김무성 writes:
2
3 > For installing vmware
4 >
5 > My kernel version is 2.6.24-gentoo-r5. But I have no source files.
6 >
7 > So I downloaded source files. But that’s version 2.6.27-gentoo-r8.
8 >
9 > When I installed vmware, it told me kernel version and kernel source
10 > files’ version no match.
11 >
12 > I have to kernel upgrade.
13 >
14 > I entered “genkernel all”
15 >
16 > And vi /boot/grub/grub.conf
17 [...]
18 > And reboot.
19 >
20 > But can’t boot.
21 >
22 > There is an error.
23 >
24 > >> Determining root device...
25 >
26 > !! Could not find the root block device in .
27
28 I think you will have to re-configure your kernel. The SATA drivers have
29 moved into another section, have a look at the "Device
30 Drivers" -> "Serial ATA" section. If kernel configuration is new to you,
31 you can also boot from a knoppix live cd, and get the kernel config
32 from /proc/config.gz.
33 Or install an older kernel, 2.6.24-r8 is still in portage. It is outdated,
34 but at least your old .config (assuming you still have it, either on your
35 hard desk or in /proc/config.gz) would probably work.
36
37 Wonko