From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recommendation sought for external disk
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 08:14:01
1 On 01/01/2014 11:07:22 PM, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > My home desktop has had a seagate external 750GB drive ST3750640cbrk
3 > for
4 > a number of years and the disk is starting to fail. The system gets
5 > only modest usage. It is powered on about 1/2 the time and the disk
6 > often goes significant periods without activity so it spins down.
7 >
8 > I was considering what seagate calls an "expansion hard drive". They
9 > are USB 3, but I will be using only USB 2.
10
11 If you have a free expansion slot I'd install a (very cheap) USB 3
12 adapter.
13 There is a tremendous difference in speed compared to USB 2.
14
15 Data transfer to my (quite recent) external USB 3 drives is about 130
16 MB/s
17 (measured by iotop) which is faster than for my built in SATA 3 drives.
18
19 Helmut