From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD Drive Question
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:45:59
1 On Monday 23 July 2007 02:33, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 20:56 -0400, Colleen Beamer wrote:
3 > > I already tried rebuilding the kernel to ensure that DMA was compiled
4 > > into it. It doesn't have any affect on the DVD drive - with or
5 > > without
6 > > DMA compiled into the kernel, there is still no sound when trying to
7 > > play an audio CD.
8 >
9 > Are you sure that the CD track is unmuted (look in alsamixer or
10 > similar)?
11
12 I second this and think that the DMA is a red herring. So first things first:
13 run alsamixer in a terminal as a plain user and make sure CD is not
14 showing "MM" and is set at a high enough setting.
15
16 Then to see what's up with dma: look at lshw to find its "logical name:".
17 Then use the logical name to run:
18
19 # hdparm -I /dev/hdc
20
21 # hdparm /dev/hdc
22
23 (on my machine /dev/hdc is my DVD drive's logical name)
24
25 HTH.
26 --
27 Regards,