From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] data recovery advice needed
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 19:42:21
1 On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 2:32 PM Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > ddrescue has now been running for almost 22 hours, and it's been 47
4 > seconds less than that since its last successful read.
5
6 There is of course no guarantee that it will EVER successfully read
7 all your data. You might be able to tell it to skip blocks and move
8 on. Obviously all it can do is keep asking the drive to try again.
9 If you want better than that then you're talking clean room rescue
10 measures.
11
12 > I did one run of testdisk on one partition on the drive months ago.
13 > One problem is that the extension on the recovered files is not
14 > necessarily the original extension (even if the file is actually
15 > recoverable) and there seem to be some file types is doesn't (or didn't
16 > then) know about. I may well try it again after much more reading on
17 > tuning its behavior.
18
19 Even in the best of circumstances this sort of approach is
20 painstaking. If that drive has the only photos of your kid's birth it
21 might be worth the trouble to you. If you're trying to rescue your
22 bittorrent collection I'd suggest moving on.
23
24 Or you can try to pay somebody to do it for you. There is a reason
25 those recovery companies charge an arm and a leg. People who are
26 desperate enough to need their services don't have many other
27 options...
30 Rich