From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hibernate / Suspend Problems on a Desktop
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 23:57:21
1 On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 19:14 -0700, fire-eyes wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I just got a new Dell XPS 420 system. It has an Intel core 2 duo quad
5 > cpu. I wish to hibernate it to ram, though I'd be happy with any other
6 > form of hibernate/suspend-like behavior at this point.
7 >
8 > I'm using vanilla kernel 2.6.25.4. I have all the various
9 > hibernate/suspend etc options turned on. I installed hibernate-script,
10 > installed vbetool and configured the .conf files for hibernate-script to
11 > use it.
12 >
13 > Testing from console, no frame buffer, any of the actions (hibernate,
14 > hibernate-ram) bring the system down just fine, but when I power the
15 > system back up fully, I have no video signal. The system is fine
16 > otherwise, as I can blind-type "reboot" or "halt" and the system does so.
17 >
18 > I remember fighting with this same issue on my IBM thinkpad laptop. I
19 > have compared configurations and don't really see any glaring
20 > differences. Other than the laptop having an ATI card, and this desktop
21 > having an Nvidia GeForce 9600.
22 >
23 > The laptop has a single-core Intel CPU, but this desktop has a quad-core
24 > Intel CPU. There is a specific option in the kernel to enable
25 > hibernate/suspend etc for SMP/multicore systems, and I have enabled that.
26 >
27 > At this point I am at a loss, trying over and over again to get this
28 > working. Any tips would be much appreciated.
29 >
30 > fire-eyes / Fieldy
31
32 I have a similar problem with my laptop - hibernate works fine, but
33 resuming leaves me with a blank screen. I can press the power button
34 and the system will shut down cleanly. I have an nvidia card, but I've
35 stopped X and unloaded all modules. Did you get anywhere?
36
37 thanks,
41 A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
42 -- Chinese proverb
45 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list