From: Hartmut Figge <h.figge@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: removal of esound
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 04:22:35
1 Dale:
2 >Hartmut Figge wrote:
3
4 >> Now, installation of esound was necessary for my SeaMonkey to be able to
5 >> notify of new mail with a custom sound file. I do *not* want pulseaudio,
6 >> so, do you know of an replacement for esound which could work with
7 >> SeaMonkey?
8 >
9 >I don't have esound enabled on my Seamonkey and it plays a sound when I
10 >get new mail.
11
12 Nice. And what sound demon is responsible for that? ;)
13
14 >I did read some of the thread on -dev about this. I think there was
15 >only a couple packages that uses esound and I don't recall Seamonkey
16 >being one of them. Are you sure it needs esound?
17
18 I know, that i didn't have the notification without esound. There may be
19 other solutions.
20
21 >It doesn't show up here as a option. I'm on amd64 on my main rig and
22 >x86 on my back up. It doesn't show esound anywhere on either of
23 >them.
24
25 I am using x86_64 without a desktop like KDE, Gnome or XFCE. Only icewm.
26 Probably most of you uses some kind desktop and it is likely that a
27 sound demon is installed in this way.
28
29 >[ebuild R ] www-client/seamonkey-2.4.1-r1 USE="alsa chatzilla dbus
30 >ipc libnotify methodjit roaming startup-notification webm -crypt
31 >-custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -system-sqlite -wifi"
32 >
33 >I do have alsa enabled tho. Would that work for you too?
34
35 Ehm, look at my user agent. I am not using Gentoo to build SM, instead i
36 am pulling the source from hg.mozilla.org. Nearly every day i have a new
37 SM. :)
38
39 Hartmut
40 --