From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] depclean missing packages
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 16:30:53
1 On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 18:11:10 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > Using the --deep switch can / does pull in a lot of seemingly extra
4 > > packages.
5 >
6 > --deep is practically *required* to do a full proper update.
7 >
8 > Say A is in world, and A depends on B which depends on C.
9 > C is updated in the tree, and usually you will want C updated.
10 >
11 > However, update world will NOT update C.
12 > Why? Because "world" is not a synonym for "everything",
13 > "world" is something quite literal - the exact contents of
14 > /var/lib/portage/world (and /var/lib/portage/world_sets if present)
15
16 > "update world" updates that list only.
17
18 That's not quite true, according to the man page. Without --deep portage
19 considers only the specified files and their immediate dependencies
20 (deps that are listed in the package's ebuild). So without --deep,
21 updates to B as well a A would be picked up, but not C.
22
23 > Adding --deep follows the
24 > dependencies of the list, basically meaning
25 >
26 > "update --deep world" IS a synonym for "everything"
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 O.K. I'm weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.