From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disk Labels in Handbook
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:40:56
1 On 9/2/2011, at 2:27pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Following Walt's recent thread about his experiences using grub2 I
4 > think getting folks used to disk labels at installation time, be they
5 > names or even better UUID's, might fit in very well with installation
6 > instructions that cover using grub2 instead of grub as a boot loader.
7
8 IMO this is what makes the problem a little less tractable.
9
10 Labels in /etc/fstab are nice, and they may ensure your disks are mounted correctly if the ordering changes. But the ordering might lead GRUB to be looking on the wrong disk for the kernel, and in that case labels in /etc/fstab alone don't help.
11
12 AIUI GRUB2 isn't yet marked stable. I think I read that GRUB2 is 150MB or so, and contains support for jpegs and whatnot - that's not really what I want in a bootloader.
13
14 At present use of /dev/sda1 &c in the handbook is very consistent.
15
16 Stroller.