From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would emerge --sync remove old profiles?
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:56:42
1 On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 4:14 AM, Neil Walker <neil@×××××××.nu> wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >
4 > > I suggest you read the subject header and the original post. It is quite
5 > > clear what Mark was talking about, and these files are removed by emerge
6 > > --sync.
10 > I have done that - in fact, I have been following the entire thread.
11 > However, it cannot be assumed that everyone does. That particular post could
12 > easily have misled someone just dipping in for the first time into believing
13 > that "emerge --sync" is dangerous. I felt it necessary to correct that. :)
16 Neil,
17 I went back and read my original post to better underdtand your
18 point. In one way I completely agree with you. Personally I think the
19 post was *very* clear about what the problem was and how it came to
20 be. However if I read the last line in isolation, quoted here:
21
22 "Did this machine just get messed up over time and I didn't notice or
23 did emerge --sync remove the profile from the system thus breaking
24 everything?"
25
26 then I would agree that the use of the word pair 'break everything'
27 was unfortunate. It would have been more accurate had I written 'break
28 emerge'. Clearly 'everything' was NOT broken on that machine after
29 running emerge --sync. To me the post was clear and coherrant but I
30 could certainly agree that a complete newbie *might* have found that
31 last line frightening if they hadn't correctly understood that I was
32 only talking about my ability to run emerge.
33
34 I was actually pretty careful about how I wrote the original post
35 but that one got by me. Sorry!
36
37 Thanks,
38 Mark