From: Raphael Mejias Dias <raphaxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] TLD for home LAN?
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 19:35:37
2 > On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 5:57 AM William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
3 > wrote:
4 > >
5 > > On 15/1/22 18:33, Peter Humphrey wrote:
6 > > > Hello list,
7 > > >
8 > > > Rich F said recently, "I'd avoid using the .local TLD due to RFC 6762."
9 > > >
10 > > > That brings me back to a thorny problem: what should I call my local
11 > network?
12 > > > It used to be .prhnet, but then a program I tried a few years ago
13 > insisted on
14 > > > a two-component name, so I changed it to .prhnet.local.
15 > > >
16 > > > Now I've read that RFC - well, Appendix G to it - and I'm scratching
17 > my head.
18 > > > I suppose it's possible that someone may want to connect an Apple
19 > device to my
20 > > > network, so perhaps I should clear the way for that eventuality.
21 > > >
22 > > > So, what TLD should I use? Should I use .home, or just go back to
23 > .prhnet? It
24 > > > isn't going to be visible to the Big Bad World, so does it even matter?
25 > > >
26 > > Ive been using "localdomain" for years without any obvious problems.
27 > > .local is not just apple but can be used by other things too (e.g.,
28 > > homeassistant uses it for device discovery, creating an extensive
29 > > ecosystem in the process. No apple devices in sight :)
30 >
31 > Just about everything supports mDNS, including Gentoo:
32 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Avahi
33 >
34 > (Most desktop-oriented distros enable it by default.)
35 >
36 > You might want to look into whether it solves your problems
37 > out-of-the-box without the need to run internal DNS. The latter still
38 > has certain advantages, but mDNS obviously benefits from simplicity.
39 >
40 > --
41 > Rich
42 >
43 > This solution, change hosts file, that Avahi suggests, is the easy
44 solution without DNS local server?
45
46 I never realized about the host file
47