From: "Håkon Alstadheim" <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [SOLVED] Pipewire not a dependency?
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 21:48:22
1 Den 02.10.2022 11:47, skrev Michael:
2 > On Saturday, 1 October 2022 19:32:11 BST Daniel Sonck wrote:
3 >> On zaterdag 1 oktober 2022 19:11:19 CEST Wol wrote:
4 >>> On 01/10/2022 17:56, Michael wrote:
5 >>>> Anyway, I ventured into pipewire because I wanted to see if Skype would
6 >>>> work without pulseaudio and in this system it won't. After I manually
7 >>>> installed pipewire Skype won't access the microphone. 🙁
8 >>> I've got some vague feeling that pipewire is designed to happily sit
9 >>> under pulseaudio. The design aim was to replace both Jack and pulseaudio
10 >>> but it basically just presents a sound device to the layers above, so
11 >>> just like you can stack block devices for disk access, you can stack
12 >>> jack, pulseaudio and pipewire for sound.
13 >> Well, it is actually designed as a drop-in replacement and won't present
14 >> audio devices in the sense pulseaudio wants to receive it. I guess it would
15 >> theoretically be possible to use pulseaudio's jack sink to talk to
16 >> pipewire, but pipewire has the full pulseaudio interface for pulseaudio
17 >> applications.
18 > At the moment only some applications support PipeWire's native API, but most
19 > support PulseAudio's API. When you come across an application like Skype
20 > which expects PulseAudio, the solution is to enable USE="sound-server
21 > pipewire-alsa" for PipeWire and in addition to PipeWire also install media-
22 > libs/libpulse. No other PulseAudio packages are needed.
23 To get that, I seem to need media-sound/pulseaudio (meta package) with
24 USE="-daemon"
25 >
26 > Thereafter an application requiring PulseAudio uses PipeWire, the latter
27 > emulating PulseAudio's server by using PulseAudio's API via libpulse.
28 >
29 > I applied the above and now the microphone in Skype works again. I assume the
30 > same applies to other PulseAudio friendly applications, which won't play
31 > nicely with PipeWire only. I suppose at some point PulseAudio will be
32 > completely replaced by PipeWire and applications will update their code
33 > accordingly.