From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is wrong 4k sector alignment still an issue?
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 18:56:53
1 On 29/06/12 07:22, David Haller wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On Fri, 29 Jun 2012, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 >> OK, I now have the new disk. Unfortunately, it turns out that GPT is
6 >> not an option, since Grub can't dual boot an UEFI/GPT installed
7 >> Windows 7 (you can't install Windows on a GPT disk if you don't
8 >> perform a UEFI install of Windows.)
9 >
10 > You need to boot Windows directly via EFI, and linux via an EFI
11 > elilo or grub-efi or grub2 loader (elilo.efi/grub.efi/grubx64.efi in
12 > the EFI-boot-partition).
13 >
14 > See: http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/index.html
15 >
16 >> And if Grub can do it, then it's much more difficult to set up
17 >> compared to a BIOS boot. I surely don't have a clue as to how to do
18 >> that.
19 >
20 > http://rodsbooks.com/gdisk/
21 >
22 > http://rodsbooks.com/gdisk/booting.html (Section
23 > "Booting from GPT on BIOS-Based Computers", esp. subsection "Windows"
24 > and "Hybrid MBR Issues").
25 >
26 > http://rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html
27 > (titled: "Hybrid MBRs: The Good, the Bad, and the So Ugly You'll Tear
28 > Your Eyes Out" ;)
29
30 I settled with an MBR-based boot solution and MSDOS partitioning, like
31 before. It's easy to setup. The whole EFI multiboot setup does not
32 seem worth the effort to me. If it was easier to setup, I'd go for it,
33 but as it stands, it's a nightmare to work with.