From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Network manager for laptop
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 14:41:25
1 I've been struggling with network managing in my laptop for some time
2 now. There's no decent way to keep it on config files. I connect to a
3 LOT of completely different wired and wireless networks.
4
5 I'm using Gnome, but I have all KDE libraries as dependencies for some
6 stuff. The machine is an Asus EEE 701 with an Atheros card. I'm using
7 ndiswrapper trying to avoid patching the madwifi drivers, waiting for
8 the official commit. My first try was NetworkManager, beautiful tool,
9 allowed me to manage my wired and open wireless connections fine, but
10 once I need WPA for wireless at the University, it failed on me. It
11 seems it can't talk to wpa_supplicant the right way. One possible fix
12 would be downgrade to version 0.5.4 of wpa_supplicant, but its not in
13 portage anymore, so I quit.
14
15 Next I tried some gtk stuff, scripting stuff, gosh, so many.
16
17 End up with WICD, wich for the most part works fine. I didn't have the
18 time to check why the heck it tries to connect to "None" more often
19 then it tries with the SSID I"m telling it to (maybe some
20 configuration file lost in the way), but anyway, change driver from
21 "ndiswrapper" or "wext" and it eventually works.
22
23 What are you guys using? I"m accepting suggestions!
26 Daniel da Veiga
27 --
28 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list