From: johnstrass <johnstrass@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re:Re: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot shutdown or reboot because of logind disconnection
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 15:05:22
1 Your answer seems to be on the right track I expected.
7 At 2022-09-17 21:08:21, "Rich Freeman" <rich0@g.o> wrote:
8 >On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 8:21 AM johnstrass <johnstrass@×××.com> wrote:
11 >> Why is the logind so fragile?
12 >
13 >Have you checked your logs. I'm guessing that the kernel OOM killer
14 >is killing it, and it is kind of hard for a process to not die when
15 >the kernel kills it.
16 >
17 >> Why cannot it be brought up again after the memeory become available again?
18 >
19 >I suspect it probably could be - probably not a failure mode upstream
20 >has paid much attention to. If the OOM killer is loose on your
21 >system, general breakage is to be expected. It is actually surprising
22 >though that it didn't go after gcc itself. I'd check the logs.
23 >
24 >You probably could tweak the unit setting so that logind is less
25 >likely to get prioritized. Then it might go after something less
26 >essential like sshd or postfix. :)
27 >
28 >Also possible that it isn't logind itself but something else it uses
29 >for IPC. Haven't looked into the gory details of how it works.
30 >
31 >I'm guessing systemd could be coaxed to shut down without it. It
32 >might actually do that on its own if you give it time, but I haven't
33 >checked the settings.
38 If you have some clue, I would like to know how to coax it.
39 If you would like to have a look at some logs on my machine, I would love to send them to you next time I meet such problems.
42 >--
43 >Rich