From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird framebuffer problem when booting
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 16:52:49
1 On 28/04/2013 17:59, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Ok, made tons of progress getting this new vm up and running, now doing
5 > some tweaking, and can't figure this one out...
6 >
7 > I'm trying to enable the framebuffer for the console at boot time.
8 > Here's my kernel boot options:
9 >
10 > video=vesafb:mtrr:y,ywrap vga=ask
11 >
12 > This correctly prompts me for the mode I want - I press enter to show me
13 > the list of available/supported modes, choose "y" for the mode "y 341
14 > 1024x768x32", the system continues to boot and switches to the correct
15 > mode (1024x768) for my console...
16 >
17 > The problem is, if I set vga=341, which is the mode on that line, all I
18 > get is the default 40x25 text console...
19 >
20 > Anyone have any ideas?
23 That stuff is the most horrible interface I have ever seen that users
24 are expected to use. None of it makes sense, none of it is documented,
25 and all of it works in weird and wonderful combinations that no sane
26 person would ever dream of. At least, it certainly feels that way.
27
28 IIRC (this goes back a long while), the vesafb and vga= options are
29 completely unrelated and refer to *different* framebuffer systems. So
30 vesafb ignores vga= and defaults to ... default :-)
31
32 Put the vesafb: option on the kernel command line instead.
35 Alan McKinnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com