From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FLAC to mp3 converters?
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:56:27
1 On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:12:32 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back any results. I guess I'm
5 >> only moderately confident as I'm not clear how the group of MP3 files
6 >> keeps the original track order. Are those written into the MP3 file by
7 >> the converter? Where does it get the info if I've removed the track
8 >> numbers from the file names. Is it already in the FLAC files?
9 >
10 > It doesn't, track order is a feature of a CD, not a bunch of mp3s. If you
11 > want to keep the files in track order, leave the numbers there, that's
12 > what they're for.
15 > --
16 > Neil Bothwick
17
18 Then there's something going on elsewhere. Using soundconverter I
19 converted a few CDs removing the track numbers from the names. I sent
20 the CD over to a Windows box and played them using iTunes. I note that
21 the tracks are displayed in the original order. It's possible, I
22 suppose, that since the artist and title directory names are in place
23 that iTunes looked up the track order from the CD database, but I
24 assumed it was actually embedded in the file by soundconverter.
25 soundfile-info cannot read MP3 file so I don't know what too would
26 tell me that the data is in the file or not.
27
28 I'll do the same experiment with your renaming and see what happens.
29
30 thanks,
31 Mark