From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 14:21:18
1 On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 11/23/2014 1:07 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> So, don't be surprised if FreeBSD develops something *really* similar
5 >> (along the lines of the second bullet) to systemd in the future
6 >
7 > Doesn't matter because:
8 >
9 > a) it won't be systemd
10 > (with all of its warts)
11 >
12 > b) it won't be written by Lennart and company
13 > (so won't have any of that baggage either)
14
15 I'm a happy sysvinit+sysvrc, upstart, sysvinit+openrc, and systemd user.
16
17 As far as an init system brings up the OS, starts the daemons that I
18 want, and allows me to troubleshoot failures, I couldn't care less
19 what init system's controlling boot.
20
21 I therefore find anti-systemd posts like this one puzzling, and even
22 surreal, since the people making them are theoretically technical, and
23 therefore logical.
24
25 Lennart made some design choices that I wish that he hadn't made but
26 I'm not losing any sleep over this; and I don't understand why anyone
27 else should.