From: Nagatoro <nagatoro@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] character confusion
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:41:33
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On 10/7/05, Nagatoro <nagatoro@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>>worked out in my brain. Why does Nautilus see a file name 'correctly'
5 >>>while ls in a terminal does not?
6 >>Can depend on more then one thing. What I know is that
7 >>1: it could depend on your language settings (iso vs utf for instance).
8 >
9 > Meaning the choice when I built the kernel or something else?
10 > Currently this is chosen, but I don't know if this makes sense:
11
12 /etc/conf.d/keymaps
13 /etc/conf.d/consolefont
14 /etc/env.d/02locale (check what you have with: locale)
15 probably the USE flag "unicode"
16 and
19 > (iso8859-1) Default NLS Option
20
21 I think this specifies what encoding your filenames will have.
22
23 >>2: it can depend on the terminal you use (is it unicode aware?).
26 > gnome-terminal mostly. I'll check some others.
27
28 What I've heard xterm is about the only terminal that is compatible
29 with all standards.
30
31 >>3: it could probably depend on your font settings.
34 > yeah, there's a Linux mystery if I ever met one... ;-)
35
36 Don't I know it :)
37
38 >>4: Some other things I don't know about.
41 > You're far better then I. Thanks!
42
43 Don't be too sure...
44