From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: /etc/motd and /etc/issue just error out....
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 16:36:47
1 On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I have created/edited /etc/motd and /etc/issue. At first they did nothing
4 > at all, but I found /etc/login.defs and followed the hint there.
5 > So now it has the line
6 > MOTD_FILE /etc/motd
7 > for instance. But instead of displaying the file on running login as root,
8 > I get
9 > configuration error - unknown item 'MOTD_FILE' (notify administrator), and
10 > something
11 > similar if I attempt to use /etc/issue.
12 >
13 > Looking at /bin/login with strings(1), I find a format string that would
14 > produce this output.
15 >
16 > Does anyone know how to correctly enable the message of the day and the
17 > greeting?
18 >
19 > Mmmm. I should add that despite these complaints, login is still possible,
20 and what's
21 especially surprising is that the messages are actually displayed. This
22 suggests that
23 I'm not very far from having it right, but /bin/login wants to complain
24 anyway.
28 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD