From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE apps, with minimal KDE install
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 13:13:29
1 On Sunday 22 November 2009 20:29:02 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 22 November 2009 20:37:19 Mick wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 22 November 2009 17:28:24 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > > On Sunday 22 November 2009 10:33:41 Mick wrote:
5
6 > > > > I have been trying to get
7 > > > > rid of akonadi in vane and have run out of flags to take
8 > > > > out.
9 >
10 > > > You can't get rid of akonadi, at least not the server. It's a
11 > > > hard dependency of kdepimlibs. Currently, you can switch it
12 > > > off, but you can't avoid having it.
13 > >
14 > > I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but why would it be
15 > > that although I
16 > > have switched the darned thing off, it still keeps popping up
17 > > every time I start kmail?
18 >
19 > Because you have akonadi backends configured in your KDE
20 > resources. Start systemsettings, it's on the advanced tab, delete
21 > the akonadi ones are replace them with native resources that go
22 > direct to the same files.
23
24 At long last!!! I think I fixed this bloody nuisance! :-D
25
26 As I mentioned sometime ago I have replaced all resources with native files
27 stored in my ~/.kde4/share/apps, so this wasn't the problem. This is the
28 solution I came up with:
29
30 I edited my ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc and added QSQLITE for the
31 driver's name under [%General]. This field was empty. Until that moment the
32 akonadiserverrc file only had a [QMYSQL] section - no other databases/drivers
33 were present. Restarting Kmail after the above change launched akonadi with
34 its slow progress bar as always, but this time the KDE migrator managed to
35 successfully register my native resource files for contacts, alarms, notes,
36 etc. Checking the akonadiserverrc file I found a new section for [QSQLITE]
37 below the original [QMYSQL]:
38 ===========================
39 [%General]
40 Driver=QSQLITE
41 SizeThreshold=4096
42 ExternalPayload=false
43
44 [QMYSQL]
45 StartServer=false
46 ServerPath=/usr/bin/sqlite3
47 Name=akonadi
48 Host=
49 User=
50 Password=
51 Options=
52
53 [QSQLITE]
54 Name=/home/michael/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi.db
55 User=
56 Password=
57 Options=
58 StartServer=false
59
60 [Debug]
61 Tracer=null
62 ===========================
63
64 I haven't rebooted yet, but restarting kmail gives no more problems with
65 akonadi. Either akonadi does not run, or if it does it causes no more delays.
66 I assume that the delays were occurring because akonadi was trying to migrate
67 old resource data, but would not it seems be prepared to accept the sqlite
68 driver. Some gentle persuasion with the akonadiserverrc sqlite driver was all
69 that was needed. ;-)
70
71 I hope this helps others who like me do not need/want mysql just to run a few
72 KDE applications.
73 --
74 Regards,
75 Mick