From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't access disks after install
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 08:06:47
1 On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 08:28 +0300, Rumen Yotov wrote:
2 > > That's worth a try - it'll take an hour or three to get everything
3 > set
4 > > up. But correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the whole point of using
5 > an
6 > > initramfs was to be able to compile *everything* as a module,
7 > including
8 > > the fs on / ? If not, that might explain why I've always had mixed
9 > > results with genkernel...
10 > >
11 > > alan
12 > >
13 > Hi,
14 > Certainly not *everything* but you could compile as modules some
15 > things
16 > which otherwise you won't be able to use as modules (root fs etc.).
17 > IIRC genkernel uses a 'default' config (equal to the one in LiveCD, if
18 > not wrong). The whole idea is to load&mount "initramfs" in memory so
20 > have the required modules/lvm/raid things to start the real root-fs.
21 > i'm using genkernel but just for the 'auto' initrd/initramfs thing,
22 > otherwise using my custom kernel config with some 12-16 modules.
23
24 I see that now. Here's what threw me (on Ubuntu):
25
26 alan@alanm:~$ cat /boot/ubuntu/config-2.6.15-25-386 | grep -i reiser
27 CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=m
28 # CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK is not set
29 # CONFIG_REISERFS_PROC_INFO is not set
30 CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_XATTR=y
31 CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
32 CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_SECURITY=y
33
34 Silly me, assuming that one distro is built the same way as another
35 one :-)
36
37 alan
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list