From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Wol's lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>, Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Scanners, sane and driver support question
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 22:07:34
1 Wol's lists wrote:
2 > On 11/11/2018 14:29, Dale wrote:
3 >> Thanks for the info.  I figured someone may have a little better idea on
4 >> this.  After some more digging, I found a ScanJet 4570C which is
5 >> actually a little better than the others I was looking at.  So, I bought
6 >> it.  It shows complete but appears to be still maintained.
7 >
8 > I've got an HP MFP 477 (not cheap - nigh on £400), but it has what I
9 > call "push scanning". Configure samba, point the printer at it, and
10 > when you hit "scan" it dumps a pdf, or jpeg, or whatever, in the samba
11 > folder you told it to.
12 >
13 > Cheers,
14 > Wol
18 I thought about a all-in-one approach, since I need a printer too.
19 Thing is, printers seems to break a lot.  The cheapos may last a few
20 years, from past experience, but die shortly after the warranty does.
21 So, I wanted a stand alone scanner that I hope will last me a long
22 time.  Plus, this scanner can do negatives and such with a adapter which
23 I can get later.  Also, I plan to get a color laser printer later on.
24 From what I've read, they can last for many years and it's cheaper for
25 the toner than all those cartridges etc for ink jets.
26
27 Now if someone local wanted to give me something that is like a fancy
28 copy machine that prints, scans and maybe even washes dishes, I'd take
29 it.  I'm not sure where I would put it but still.  ;-)
30
31 One thing I've figured out.  Cheaper on the front end, pay for it on the
32 backend.  Pay a little more on the front end, more dependable and
33 cheaper later on consumables.  Hey, at least I'm figuring it out.  lol
34
35 Dale
36