From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new linux router
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 17:38:01
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > > I'm not sure the arch of a 500 MHz AMD Geode LX800;
5 > > isn't that compatible with i686 binaries? I found this:
6
7 > The Geode LX800 is more like an i486. I used to use a box based on one
8 > (not as a router) in the days before the Raspberry Pi. I used to build
9 > packages in a chroot on my i7 box, using these settings
10
11 Yes, this processor is a bit of a chameleon. Several companies
12 manufactured it and under several different versions with slightly
13 different instruction sets inside. You really have look at
14 the part id number and the silicon vendors data sheets or
15 test out some of the options to be for sure. They all mask (label
16 print) the chips to look the same....... Some are full i686
17 and some are crappy i486 and some are in between. They are intended
18 for embedded products, so the firmware folks developing the codes
19 get the accurate data from the chip vendors directly. It's
20 kinda like buying drugs in south america, you better know
21 your connection, really well (aha ha ha ha). Sorry, but the old,
22 jaded embedded engineer in me never really gets too quiet.....
25 > CFLAGS="-O2 -march=geode -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
26 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
27 > CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu"
28 > MAKEOPTS="-j16 -l10"
29
30 This would be a keen starting point combined
31 with /proc probing....
34 > MAKEOPTS="-j16 -l10"
35
36 Might not be the best settings? [1]
37 Look for these lines in the reference thread and translate
38 to a makeopts syntax? Interesting discussion.
39
40 MAKE -j $nthreads -l $((nthreads-1)).8
41 EMERGE –jobs $((nthreads+1) –load-average ${nthreads}.4
44 thx,
45 James
48 [1] https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2013/01/14/makeopts-jcore-1-is-
49 not-the-best-optimization/