From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xorg does not start after a recent system update.
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 11:25:16
1 вс, 20 сент. 2020 г. в 14:09, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 > вс, 20 сент. 2020 г. в 12:20, Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>:
4 > >
5 > > On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 11:59:10AM +0300, gevisz wrote:
6 > > > Thank you for your reply. Yes, I tried it after a reboot.
7 > > > As to your first question, I will look into logs and report it a bit later.
8 > >
9 > > 1) Could you confirm that `/run/dbus/system_bus_socket` doesn't exist?
10 >
11 > Thank you for your reply and the tips.
12 >
13 > /run/dbus directory does not exist on the computer where xorg-server
14 > does not start, which probably means that it does not run. (At the
15 > same time, /run/dbus/system_bus_socket does exit on another my Gentoo
16 > box that I last updated 1.5 years ago and that has no problem starting
17 > xorg-server. It still has default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop (stable)
18 > profile.)
19 >
20 > Also, I cannot find a link to dbus from any of my /etc/runlevels on my
21 > problem computer though such a link exists from
22 > /etc/runlevels/default/dbus to /etc/init.d/dbus on my old Gentoo
23 > installation.
24 >
25 > On both my Gentoo installations exist /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/80-dbus
26 > file that promises to launch a session dbus instance.
27 >
28 > When installing my new Gentoo installation, I tried to make it as
29 > close to the old one as it was possible, and it is strange to me that
30 > the new one does not have a dbus startup in its runlevels. (As far as
31 > I remember, in both cases I needed dbus to switch keyboard layout in
32 > Awesome, and it did on both systems before the last update.)
33 >
34 > Probably, my first try should be to add dbus to the default runlevel
35 > on my new Gentoo installation.
36
37 Yes, after adding dbus to default runlevel, the xorg-server started.
38
39 Thank you.
40
41 Still do not understand how it worked without it before.
42
43 Will look into logs and post to this thread any other problems
44 xorg-server reports, if any, later.
45
46 > > 2) Please post the full logs of the X server, usually at `/var/log/Xorg.0.log`.
47 > > 3) The output of `emerge --info x11-base/xorg-server` would be nice.
48 >
49 > Will come soon. :)
50 >
51 > > I ask for (3), because if you have the `systemd` OR `elogind` flags set on your
52 > > X server package, `--enable-systemd-login` will be passed to the configure
53 > > script, which is known to cause this problem [1].
54 >
55 > Thank you for the tip and the links.
56 >
57 > On both my systems (the old and the new one) I do have elogind
58 > installed as it is needed for Skype.
59 > On the old system, xorg-server still does not have an elogind use
60 > flag, while the new one has it and it is set on.
61 >
62 > > From the relevant ebuild [2]:
63 > >
64 > > if use systemd || use elogind; then
65 > > XORG_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS+=(
66 > > "--enable-systemd-logind"
67 > > "--disable-install-setuid"
68 > > "$(use_enable suid suid-wrapper)"
69 > > )
70 > > else
71 > > XORG_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS+=(
72 > > "--disable-systemd-logind"
73 > > "--disable-suid-wrapper"
74 > > "$(use_enable suid install-setuid)"
75 > > )
76 > > fi
77 > >
78 > > [1] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/issues/554