From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re[2]: Re: Portage, git and shallow cloning
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2018 05:43:02
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > git has the advantage that it can just read the current HEAD and from
4 > that know exactly what commits are missing, so there is way less
5 > effort spent figuring out what changed.
6
7 I don't know the exact protocol, but I would assume that git is
8 even more efficient: I would assume
9
10 1. git transfers only changes between similar files
11 (in contrast: rsync could only do this if the filename has not
12 changed, and even that is switched off for portage syncing).
13
14 2. git transfers compressed data.
15
16 (Both are assumptions which perhaps some git guru might confirm.)