From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Instant reboot at grub stage 1.5
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 02:28:36
1 Hello, I'm stumped here, so i'm open for suggestions.
2
3 My system refuses to boot fully. What happens is it powers on, and i see
4 a very quick flash that says something along the lines of "Loading Grub
5 Stage 1.5", and then a reboot. This just continues in a loop.
6
7 In the past few days, I was upgrading glibc to 2.4 and also to gcc
8 4.1.1. I was using the GCC upgrade guide. Everything went well until it
9 was time to reboot. I did do an emerge -e world.
10
11 I remerged grub, and used the grub console to reinstall. I have checked
12 my grub.conf, it looks fine. It also does not have any trailing garbage
13 (suggestion from others).
14
15 I also recompiled and reinstalled my kernel, making sure it was compiled
16 with gcc 4.1.1.
17
18 Many times i got back in via chroot, and tried to reinstall grub, but to
19 no avail. It sees the disks, it sees the partitions, it sees the
20 filesystems.
21
22 So I am not sure what to do next. I flung about 4 hours of time at this
23 with no change.
24
25 Any ideas?
26 --