From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from Lastpass to Bitwarden
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 14:23:16
1 Am Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 06:04:01PM -0600 schrieb Dale:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > Lastpass is forcing people to use only one device type or pay a fee.
5 > I've used the free version of Lastpass for years and it works well for
6 > me.
7
8 Call me Ishmael^wold-fashioned. I don’t trust the Internet with anything
9 sensitive. Even if the other party behaves trustworthy (trustwortily?). If
10 it’s on someone else’s system, it’s out of my reach. A password database not
11 only contains the passwords themselves, but naturally also what I have
12 passwords for in the first place.
13
14 > I use it on my desktop and my cell phone too.
15
16 On top of that, I don’t trust Android with sensitive stuff, either. Sure, I
17 have mail, calendar and contacts on my mobile devices (synced against a
18 local Radicale instance on my raspberry). But nothing that involves money;
19 No banking app, no paypal app, I don’t even have a credit card. The
20 exception is the app for our railway system that is directly linked to my
21 back account (but most of the times I buy the ticket at a vending machine
22 and pay cash).
23
24 So the natural answer for my password needs is keepass (by now the XC
25 variant). I sync it between my Linux machines with all other files using
26 unison.
27
28 > Anyone have info on switching from Lastpass to Bitwarden?
29
30 I’m aware this doesn’t answer your question,
31
32 > Thoughts?
33
34 but I wanted to make a case for another viewing angle on the matter.
37 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
38 I recently bought a hula hoop. And what can I say—it fits!