From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Separate /usr partition
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:17:34
1 >-----Original Message-----
2 >From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
3 >Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 8:51 AM
4 >To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 >Subject: [gentoo-user] Separate /usr partition
6 >
7 >CAUTION: This is an EXTERNAL email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
8 >
9 >Hello list,
10 >
11 >I'm thinking of separating /usr onto its own partition so that I can have it mounted read-only except while updating it. I'd prefer not to have to make an init thingy, not having needed one up to now. Besides, some machines have things like early-ucode or amd-uc.
12 >
13 >I've found a few guides on the Web, but I'm still confused. Is there a simple guide to doing this? I know of at least one subscriber here who's done it. :)
14 >
15 >--
16 >Regards,
17 >Peter.
18
19 Everything necessary to boot the system and mount drives is supposed to be in /etc /lib* and /sbin So a separate /usr is theoretically just a matter of putting your /usr device into fstab.
20
21 If something you need for booting with separate /usr is missing that would be a FSH bug and is probably worth reporting unless you're doing something truly arcane with your system.
22
23 LMP