From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] k3b access rights
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:36:45
1 Michael Kintzios schreef:
2 > . . or at least this is what I suspect being wrong:
3 > ========================== IDE DVD-ROM x16 /dev/hdb 660 root.cdrom
4 > 666.root.cdrom PHILIPS DVD8421 /dev/hda 660 root.cdrom 666
5 > root.cdrom ==========================
6 >
7 > ========================== cdrdao 1.2.0 /usr/bin/cdrdao 4711
8 > root.root no change cdrecord 2.1 /usr/bin/cdrecord 0755 root.root
9 > no change ==========================
10 >
11 > This is my fstab: ========================== # DEVICES /dev/cdrom
12 > /mnt/cdrw iso9660 noauto,rw,uid=1001,user 0 0
13 > /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 iso9660
14 > noauto,ro,user 0 0 ==========================
15 >
16 > BTW, when I mount the cdrw I get this message: "mount: block device
17 > /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only". This is the
18 > /mnt/cdrw access rights: ========================== drwx------ 2
19 > root root 48 Nov 19 14:33 cdrom1 dr-xr-xr-x 1 suzy root 2048 Jan
20 > 2 19:44 cdrw ========================== (suzy is the uid=1001) I
21 > would like to have the DVD mountable by other uid's too, but having
22 > just "user" in fstab causes problems mounting it as a simple user.
23 >
24 > Any suggestions?
25
26 I don't understand what your problem is, sorry. But I think that's
27 because you haven't actually said what your problem is, or whether it's
28 with K3b or general use of the drive.
29
30 You don't mount the cd/dvd in order to write to it with K3b (or
31 whatever); iirc the application uses raw device access, but whether that
32 is correct or not, you unquestionably don't mount the device to use a
33 burning program. Nor do you mount the drive in order to play an audio CD
34 (which also uses raw device access, which requires that the device *not*
35 be mounted).
36
37 Second, for general use (video viewing, game playing, etc) what you most
38 likely want is the "users" (note the "s" at the end) option, which
39 allows any user to mount/unmount the drive, as opposed to just one:
40
41 from man mount:
42
43 user Allow an ordinary user to mount the file system. The name
44 of the mounting user is written to mtab so
45 that he can unmount the file system again. This
46 option implies the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev
47 (unless overridden by subsequent options, as in the
48 option line user,exec,dev,suid).
49
50 users Allow every user to mount and unmount the file system. This
51 option implies the options noexec, nosuid,
52 and nodev (unless overridden by subsequent options,
53 as in the option line users,exec,dev,suid).
56 If you're trying to play a game from CD, you might also consider the
57 "exec" option (so that you can execute the game binary from the CD,
58 since as you see above, certain options are "implied" by the 'user'or
59 'users' options that will be enabled unless specifically disabled after
60 the 'user' or 'users' option).
61
62 There's also the expedient of whether your users are in the
63 cdrom/cdrw/dvd/whatever group, which gives them relevant access to said
64 drives (and whether or not certain applications are looking for members
65 of this group in order to enable said user to use the program). For
66 example, K3b can be set to only allow access to users in a specific
67 group, but it doesn't /have/ to be set that way.
68
69 That's about all I can tell you without knowing specifically what you're
70 trying to do and what exactly is going wrong (above the fact that other
71 users are not able to mount the drive).
72
73 HTH,
74 Holly
75 --