From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block (0,0)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 17:36:56
1 On 11/17/10 13:57, Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 >On 17/11/2010, at 6:56am, Dale wrote:
4 >>> ...
5 >>> So now system boots but I can not seem to the network card going.
6 >>> On the "lspci -k" I think you mean lspci -nn (there is no switch -k)
7 >> ...
8 >> The man page shows a -k switch here so maybe what you are booting has a older version or something.
9 >
10 >I advise Joseph (OP) to use a recent SystemRescueCd. He doesn't say he is, and I assume not - I would assume that SystemRescueCd would have a version of `lspci` supporting the -k flag, as it is based on Gentoo and it works on my Gentoo stable system.
11 >
12 >http://www.sysresccd.org/
13 >
14 >Stroller.
15
16 I've tried Gentoo ISO first.
17 I've downloaded the latest minimal AMD64 ISO and they will not boot my AMD
18 Athlon 64 processor 3800 (the below ISO boot my other box OK).
19 I've tried:
20 install-amd64-minimal-20101111.iso
21 install-amd64-minimal-20101007.iso
22
23 The system start booting and stops at:
24 Looking for the cdrom
25 ...
26 Attempting to mount media: - /dev/hda
27
28 This system boots OK older ISO AMD64 - 2008 but not the latest ISO.
29 It seems to me I am not the only one having this problem. I don't know what kind of rubbish they put together lately as ISO :-(
30
31 OK I've tried as you suggested, http://www.sysresccd.org/ and it works OK.
32 When I boot I have network eth0 and it loads driver forcedeth
33
34 I've compiled the same driver into my current kernel but there is no eth0, so I'm puzzled, the kernel I'm using is:
35 linux-2.6.31-gentoo-r6 so it is not that old.
38 Joseph