From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:05:55
1 On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Roy Wright wrote:
2 > On Feb 10, 2010, at 6:31 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Roy Wright wrote:
4 > >> OK, after reading several articles from the given starting point, I now
5 > >> understand why semantic-desktop wastes so much cpu, memory, and storage
6 > >> (really, if you organize your data properly who cares about a file's
7 > >> relationship to an email?).
8 > >
9 > > because to 'organize it properly' you would need a huge directory tree
10 > > plus symlinks plus explaining notes to even simulate a small token of
11 > > the stuff 'semantic desktop' can do for you..
12 >
13 > Haven't had a problem organizing my data in 25 years and currently run a 3
14 > system cluster with ~8TB of data. The only "benefit" that the semantic
15 > desktop seems to deliver is to waste resources.
16 >
17 > >> Also didn't read anything even hinting at
18 > >> security awareness of the technology which is really scary (imagine an
19 > >> attack that get's access to the RDFs,
20 > >
21 > > those RDFs are in your home directory. If someone can read your home you
22 > > are screwed anyway.
23 > >
24 > >> it'd tell the attacker exactly which
25 > >> additional files to target).
26 > >
27 > > oh yes, reading stuff about emails tells him to read more emails. That is
28 > > scary.
29 >
30 > But tagging files (say stock spreedsheets, bank records, financial
31 > bookmarks, tax records) with tags (say 'bank, money, finance') all in one
32 > place would simplify a targeted attack.
33
34 and the filenames and the places where you keep them won't tell him the same?
35 You just claimed you organize things just fine. When you organize things, it
36 can be used against you.
39 > >> And since I don't use/like dolphin, I'll
40 > >> stick with my original opinion that the semantic-desktop should be
41 > >> totally disabled/uninstalled.
42 > >
43 > > and you can do that. Oh wow. That useflag only turns on soprano. Nothing
44 > > else. Which means nothing. You are not forced to use that stuff.
45 >
46 > So just another database server wasting resources.
47
48 if it is running. You are free to not start it at all.
49
50 > Not too bad as long as
51 > nepomuk and strigi are disabled. Now to find the network ports soprano
52 > uses to make sure they are blocked from leaving the machine... Yes, I
53 > know, one of the really scary goals of the semantic-desktop is to share
54 > RDFs, definitely don't want that.
55
56 good thing you have to enable that explicitly...
59 > >> IMO, mandatory semantic-desktop is a very good reason to find another
60 > >> desktop manager (even after being my primary desktop for 7 years).
61 > >
62 > > yeah good luck with that. Because gnome is moving in that direction too.
63 > >
64 > > Seriously guys, you start sounding like luddites. Is new, must be bad.
65 >
66 > This technology does not have a good track record (invasive cpu, memory,
67 > disk usage) for very dubious benefits. I have not found any cost vs.
68 > benefits vs. risks articles. Just a bunch of "we think this will be great
69 > if you just use it" type articles that can't even explain how it would be
70 > great.
71
72 zero cpu, almost zero memory and mayby 0.1% harddisk. Yeah, that is scary.