From: Rumen Yotov <gentoo@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] usb - sandisk memory needs FAT or NTFS
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 05:43:29
1 On (22/01/06 04:48), James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Well I have 2 different usb memory devices and I cannot
5 > seem to get a fat (or ntfs) file system on them.
6 >
7 > I have to manually mount them with this command as coldplug
8 > does not do it automatically. I have to use:
9 > 'mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb'
10 > Then I can use 'cp' to copy files onto the usb mem device but
11 > windows can only see the name, not copy files off of the usb
12 > mem device.
13 >
14 > Here's the fstab entries I have tried:
15 >
16 > none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
17 > #/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb auto noauto,user,sync 0 0
18 > /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb auto noauto,user 0 0
19 >
20 > I need to copy a microsoft (.exe) file from a gentoo (archive)
21 > to a usb (1.0) memory device so it can be moved to a
22 > windows pc. I want my gentoo system to auto-sense the usb memory
23 > device including the file system type and make it so I can use
24 > cp and other linux programs to copy files over to the windoz
25 > file system on the usb memory sticks. If I have to I can use
26 > 'mcopy' or other such program on the gentoo system to put
27 > windows files onto the usb mem device, when it is plugged
28 > into the gentoo system.
29 >
30 > Any good wiki's or docs? I've tried to follow several web pages but
31 > most are old and none show how to have the fat (ntfs) file
32 > system automounted upon insertion of the usb sandisk device,
33 > which comes from a windows 2000 user, into a gentoo system.
34 >
35 > ideas?
38 > James
39 >
40 > --
41 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
42 >
43 Hi,
44 Tranfering data Linux<->Windows through USB-stick works for me.
45 First i've put FAT32 filesystem on USB, using some HP 'win' program.
46 Windows reads/writes the data w/o problems.
47 Linux automounts the stick (with 'vfat' fs) using dbus-hal-ivman trio.
48 Don't have any settings (for USB) in my /etc/fstab.
49 PS: don't forget to eject the Media before taking it out, both Lin&Win.
50 HTH.Rumen