From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert wmv to mp4?
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 19:09:41
1 On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 1 May 2012, at 18:51, Michael Mol wrote:
4 >>> …
5 >>> I am certainly able to play back .wmv files here without win32codecs installed. Admittedly, I'm using xbmc to do that, and haven't recently tested using VLC or mplayer, but I would avoid installing that package unless I was sure I needed it.
6 >>
7 >> …
8 >> WMV, mp4, WAV, etc. are all names given to container formats. WMV
9 >> might contain h264 internally, or it might contain one of the
10 >> "Microsoft Video" codecs, …
11 >
12 > Actually, WMV appears not to be a container format - but a family of codecs.
13 >
14 > Apparently the .wmv files we see distributed on the net are most always WMV codec video contained in a ASF container.
15 >
16 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.wmv
17
18 Ah, right, my mistake.
21 > I don't believe I've ever encountered a .wmv file containing h264. One probably wouldn't actually notice, in normal use, if one did receive such a file, assuming it worked when one clicked on it.
22 >
23 > However I find it extremely unlikely to imagine anyone putting h264 in a .wmv file (or an ASF container). We all commonly put h264 in .mp4 or .mkv containers.
24
25 You've never been deep into AMVs, I take it. If a codec can be shoved
26 into a container, I've probably had a sample of it at one time or
27 another.
30 >> Sometimes that's because of patent issues, sometimes that's because
31 >> there aren't enough useful samples, and sometimes that's because
32 >> nobody cares about a codec nobody's seriously used since 1997.
33 >
34 > I'm pretty sure we're able to play back WMV7, WMV9 / AC-1 videos without these binary decoders. It's probably not very useful to talk about codecs "nobody's seriously used since 1997." I *am* pretty sure that upstream mplayer *do* generally say "don't bother with the win32codecs".
35
36 Actually, a lot of upstream hacks on stuff for reasons ranging from
37 completeness to plain and simple fun. Check out multimedia.cx, follow
38 the blogs.
39
40 > The goal here to to get Mark's video playing, and he's given no indication it's some old file he found on a 1998 system.
41
42 Sure. But when I give an explanation, I give background. Give a fire,
43 teach to make a fire...Gentoo tends to be far more about teaching to
44 make fires than simply providing them. Though sometimes it uses you
45 for kindling.
48 :wq