From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail issues/questions
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:33:23
1 On Saturday 07 July 2007 12:55, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > > Second, Kmail doesn't seem very adept at handling folders with lots of
3 > > messages.
4 >
5 > yes it does.
6 >
7 > > I have one folder which has about 40k messages in it. It's the
8 > > archives of a mailing list I run and I expect it to grow much larger
9 > > relatively quickly. It's in maildir format on a reiserfs volume.
10 >
11 > that is your problem.
12 >
13 > > Just
14 > > clicking on the folder makes Kmail freeze for about four of five seconds
15 > > before it displays a list of messages in the window and becomes
16 > > responsive to key presses and mouse clicks again. If I try to search for
17 > > messages in the folder, the search will run for a minute or two and Kmail
18 > > will crash. Every time. This rather defeats the purpose of having an
19 > > archive folder. Is anyone else using Kmail with folders holding thousands
20 > > of email messages? Have you seen these issues? If Kmail is working well
21 > > in those circumstances for you, are you using maildir or mbox? What file
22 > > system?
23 >
24 > I have a 70000 messages folder - and several in the 30000 messages realm.
25 >
26 > If they become slow, it is time to defrag.
27 >
28 > Really, this is a fs problem. I like reiserfs, and it is very good with
29 > small files - but fragmentation is a real problem and slows down everything
30 > horrendously.
31 >
32 > Back up everything and run a mkfs.reiserfs. Restore, and kmail will be fast
33 > again.
34
35 I added a spare hard drive to the computer. Created a new ext3 file system
36 and copied /home to the new drive. Mounted the new drive under /home and
37 logged in as my normal user. Kmail performance is marginally improved but
38 it's far from snappy. For example, clicking on the Archive folder displays
39 the watch icon for about seven to eight seconds before displaying the folder.
40 Doing a search for the word "gentoo" in the body of the message ran for 12
41 minutes and twenty seconds and crashed with a sig11. Twelve minutes to
42 search 40k messages, and it wasn't through when it crashed.
43
44 > > I'd also be interested in reports of anyone using Evolution with large
45 > > folders, or recommendations for other email clients. I'd be
46 > > particularly interested in one which precreates indexes to speed up
47 > > searches.
48 >
49 > evolution? that bugged to death thingy?
50
51 Based solely on my experience, I could apparently say the same thing about
52 Kmail.
53 --
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list