From: Jim <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] x86 Install CD
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:04:52
1 Is there anyway to modify the x86 install CD?
2
3 Last night I tried to install Gentoo on my laptop and things just didn't
4 work out.
5
6 I know all the major devices work with Linux because I put in Ubuntu
7 6.06 - Dapper Drake and my Intel wireless ipw2200 and sound worked OTB.
8 The sound didn't work with the Gentoo install CD which is no biggie
9 since I can fix that after install. However, the killer was that there
10 was no support for ipw2200! I looked in /lib/firmware and there were
11 the firmware binaries for the 2100, but not the 2200. I couldn't
12 download the firmware since Gentoo didn't have support for my wireless
13 card. I tried to do an install without network but it failed. Looking
14 at the log, emerge tried to get to the net. I also noticed that there
15 was no stage-3 on the x86 liveCD installer so I picked to make the
16 packages from the CD itself.
17
18 I put in a pcmcia D-Link card and dmesg showed it, however iwconfig
19 didn't list it and Gentoo didn't do anything with it. The docs on the
20 CD weren't much help for wireless.
21
22 I am going on vacation tomorrow and would really like to have Gentoo,
23 though I will "deal" with Ubuntu 6.06 if need be.
24
25 Has anyone gotten an Intel pro wireless 2200 (ipw2200) working with
26 Gentoo and more specifically with the installer?
27
28 Thanks,
29
30 Jim