From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Which package contains NAME uninstalled tool
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:08:22
1 I'm sure this has come up several times but finding the correct search
2 string is proving to be a problem.
3
4 How can a user tell which package an uninstalled tool is in?
5
6 For example. I want to make an xfs file system. It turn out I have
7 no mkfs.xfs.
8
9 I find these in my portage tree: sys-fs/xfsdump and xfsprogs.
10
11 Neither sound like they would contain mkfs.xfs. But if they do, how
12 can I determine that? I see no list of files or the like in their
13 prospective directories and no commandline flags for esearch that look
14 like they do that either.
15
16 The package database listed on gentoo home pages appears to be laid
17 out in some unfathomable and non-searchable way.
18
19 I see no infomation about how to use it there at all.
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list