From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Slightly OT but interesting nonetheless...
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 13:11:44
1 On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 02:44:06PM +0000, James wrote:
2 >
3 > The kernel gyrations are all really about something much more important.
4 > *MONEY*
5 >
6 > ...Commercial distros like Apple's offering are making
7 > billions.
8
9 OS X is not a linux distribution.
10 It uses the xnu kernel, which fuses elements of BSD
11 kernels with the Mach microkernel to create a hybrid.
12
13 Also, I think Linus still has a lot of say about kernel
14 development and last I checked he's not particularly wealthy,
15 so while there is some merit in what you say (mostly in the
16 sense that money can buy more developer hours) I don't think
17 Linux kernel development is "all about the money".
20 caveat utilitor