From: Fernando Antunes <fs.antunes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing xorg.conf at runtime (nVidia cards)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:44:13
1 On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Mike Mazur <mmazur@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 Hi
8 > I have an nVidia card, and I can use the NVIDIA X Server Settings app
9 > to dynamically detect and configure displays I connect to my laptop.
10 > When I'm done with the configuration, I simply apply it, and keep on
11 > truckin' without having to restart X.
14 I don't use xorg.conf in my notebook Lenovo T61, Intel 965GSM , xorg and
15 xfce ~x86, gentoo 2.6.30 with KMS, anymore.
16 Both kernel and X switch to 1280x800 resolution automatically, xinerama is
17 disable.
20 > Doing this manually each time I connect/disconnect an external display
21 > can get tiresome. I can generate an xorg.conf for each setup I
22 > frequently use (ie: different monitors at work/home, no monitor on the
23 > go), but that means restarting X when the display configuration
24 > changes. This can be undesirable if I just want to move from my desk
25 > to the living room.
28 > I'd like to run a single command, passing it one of my xorg.conf files
29 > (for instance), and have my screens configured on-the-fly. I looked at
30 > the command-line options for nvidia-settings and nvidia-xconfig but
31 > they don't seem to do what I want. I also looked at XRandR but I'm not
32 > sure what's the best way forward.
33 >
34 > Does anyone have something like this already set up? What did you use?
35 > Will these nvidia tools do what I need or should I look to XRandR? How
36 > do I get started with setting up XRandR?
39 When I connect a external monitor, I just use this basic script to adjust my
40 external monitor to have a wide screen (VGA1)
41
42 xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1280x800
43 xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024 --above LVDS1
44
45 To do this more useful, you can pass the resolution of VGA1 as a parameter.
46
47 To disable wide screen :
48
49 xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1280x800
50 xrandr --output VGA --mode 1024x1024 --same-as LVDS
56 > Thanks!
57 > Mike