From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update problems
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 18:18:03
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 20:45:10 +0200, lee wrote:
4 >
5 >> Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
6 >>
7 >> > Patches are always more welcome than suggestions. "Fix it!" is never
8 >> > as welcome as "here's how". I think it was Canek who said "code
9 >> > talks".
10 >>
11 >> Do you have an example for such a case?
12 >
13 > Just look at b.g.o. Many bug reports include a patch submitted by a user
14 > that makes its way into the tree.
15
16 What is b.g.o.?
17
18 >> My experience has disproved
19 >> this claim, and I've even seen people fixing stuff multiple times after
20 >> I told them it's broken and provided a perfectly working version before
21 >> telling them, much better coded, which they could have used instead of
22 >> insisting on their crappy code and trying to fix it several times.
23 >
24 > You cannot judge one group of people on the behaviour of an unrelated
25 > group.
26
27 But I can observe the behaviour of many similar groups of people, or of
28 people, and come to a conclusion about what behaviour can be
29 expected. That with very few exceptions, neither bug reports, nor fixes
30 are wanted, is an observation. I suppose I should have expected the
31 same behaviour here, and I made the mistake to think that I might
32 encounter different behaviour here.
35 > [...]
36 > #!/usr/lib/python-exec/python-exec2-c
37 > [...]
38 >
39 > In there you will find python2.7/emerge and python3.4/emerge (depending
40 > on which Python versions you have installed).
41
42 ok
43
44 >> I don't believe that they let everyone modify what they're working on,
45 >> so they are the only ones who /can/ fix it. Besides, show me where I
46 >> said something like "I want the devs to fix it".
47 >
48 > They don't. You submit the modifications in the bug report and they vet
49 > and apply the patches.
50
51 Obviously, no patch is wanted.
52
53 >> > Adding the word "just" to a demand does not make the task any
54 >> > simpler, nor does it increase your chances of getting what you want.
55 >>
56 >> Go ahead and show me where I have demanded something.
57 >
58 > Your insistence that it should be changed amounts to a demand. Your
59 > assertion that it can be done easily only demeans the efforts of the
60 > devs, implying that the fix is simple but they cannot be bothered.
61
62 I'm not insisting at all. I'm merely saying that it could easily be
63 fixed. So people say it's not easy to fix but incredibly difficult, and
64 I say that fixing a "print" statement in some script can't be so
65 incredibly difficult to fix. Then people agree and give other reasons
66 --- which have nothing to do with changing a "print" statement --- for
67 why this is difficult to do.
68
69 Some of what they say indicates that the devs cannot be bothered. How
70 you conclude that something which could be done easily and isn't demeans
71 anyones efforts escapes me. However, you would have to blame the people
72 saying that the devs cannot be bothered, not me.
73
74 >> > On the contrary, it serves to illustrate that you do not grasp the
75 >> > complexity of the situation.
76 >>
77 >> Perhaps you can enlighten me how it is so difficult to change a message
78 >> from "slot conflict" to "slot conflict (can probably be ignored while
79 >> there are other problems)" and what the complexity is which makes it
80 >> impossible to do so.
81 >
82 > Changing the message is trivial, knowing when to change it is not. Unless
83 > you can provide a means to tell unimportant slot conflicts from important
84 > ones, Context is everything and the variety of Gentoo systems out there
85 > make it extremely difficult for portage to understand the context in
86 > human terms.
87
88 You don't need to know when to change it. Once someone finds that they
89 still cannot update after fixing all other issues, they are able to
90 figure out that they may not ignore the message. Apparently it rarely
91 happens that they may not ignore the message.
92
93 Some time, there might be a way to know when to change the message, and
94 even better messages could be used. Until then, a small change would go
95 a long way towards making the system more friendly for the users. So
96 why make things difficult for everyone --- for the devs by asking for an
97 ultimate fix and for the users by giving them misleading messages ---
98 rather than making things easier by using messages less misleading while
99 the devs can their time until they find the ultimate fix?
100
101 I'd give them credit for taking that step. Can you explain how taking
102 such a step, or even suggesting to take it, could demean their efforts?
106 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
107 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.