From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot merge mozilla or mozilla-firefox
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 07:09:25
1 On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 12:26:20PM -0400, fire-eyes wrote
2 > Hello, I am hoping I can get some assistance here. These problems are
3 > probably specific to my system. These and many other irritants cropped
4 > up after I enabled nptl and nptlonly. I then took off nptlonly, did an
5 > emerge -e world, and here I am left with tons of problems.
6
7 nptl and nptlonly work fine on my system, including firefox.
8
9 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86" AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH NNNNNOOOO!!!!
10
11 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" is OK (sort of) if you want strictly testing
12 and bleeding edge. Expect some breakage along the way, but it shouldn't
13 die on you. However, mixing X86 *AND* ~X86 in ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is a
14 *BAD* idea. You'll get a mish-mash of stable and unstable stuff and
15 guaranteed problems. If you want a stable system, you want
16 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86". That happens to be the default on X86 systems.
17 I can't offer any advice other than blowing away the OS and
18 re-installing from scratch (you do have your data files on a separate
19 partition?).
20
21 Note, if you want only a handful of ~X86 packages, it can be done on
22 an individual basis. Leave your system as X86. For that package that
23 you gotta have, regardless of whether it's ready or not, enter it in
24 /etc/portage/package.unmask. "man portage" and look up "package.unmask"
25 for details.
26
27 > MAKEOPTS="-j3" Doesn't help either, but it's minor in comparison.
28
29 Unless you have a multi-CPU (or multi-core) you shouldn't exceed "-j2".
30 Even then, there are rare occasions when you need to drop down "-j1".
31
32 BTW, you should use...
33 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
34
35 after you've set CFLAGS. This guarantees synchronization.
38 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
39 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list