From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions re swap and hibernate interaction on 8 gig machine
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:17:21
1 Am Dienstag, 22. Juni 2010 schrieb Walter Dnes:
2 > I just got a brand new custom-built 8 gig machine. [...]
3
4 > Anyhow, I have 8 gigs of ram on the sytem (will obviously be 64-bit
5 > Gentoo) and I want to know how much swap I need. The general rule of
6 > thumb is twice the ram. In this case, it would be 16 gigs. I think
7 > that it may not need swap when up, unless I do some heavy duty stuff.
8 > My main concern about a swap partition is how much I need for
9 > hibernate-to-disk to work. Is there a rule about this, or should I
10 > simply allocate 16 gigs out of my terabyte drive, and play it safe?
13 It of course depends on your usage profile. I have a laptop with 3 Gigs of RAM
14 without swap. I don’t do really fancy stuff on them. Noteworthy things:
15 Blender, X-Plane (flight sim), Hugin, some small VMs and of course the
16 occasional compiling. Mostly, I do only one of those at one time. I even have
17 set up a ramdisk in /var/tmp/portage for emerge. Except for kdelibs its 1.5
18 Gigs are more than enough. And if the ramdisk is empty, the free space is used
19 for RAM.
20 --
21 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
22 The first time you’ll get a Microsoft product that doesn’t suck
23 will be the day they start producing vacuum cleaners.