From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 04:41:57
1 On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 08:29 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
3 > > On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 07:57:57 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
4
5 > > For example, Network Manager uses D-Bus to tell programs when
6 > > your Internet connection is available and not, so your mail client goes
7 > > into offline mode rather than pointlessly trying to access your mailbox.
8 > > KDE4 uses it quite extensively, ust as KDE3 used DCOP.
9 >
10 > So that's why when I am downloading something it doesn't check my
11 > emails. I was always curious about that.
12
13 that shouldn't be the case - what email client are you using? Evolution
14 supports this (with the networkmanager USE flag*) but it goes offline
15 when all your interfaces are down, not just "in use" like heavy
16 downloading.
17
18 * actually the USE flag (networkmanager instead of dbus) and the
19 comments on it suggest that it talks directly to NetworkManager and not
20 via dbus, but I don't actually know.
21
22 $ equery u evolution
23 ...
24 - + networkmanager : Allows Evolution to automagically toggle online/offline
25 mode by talking to net-misc/networkmanager and getting
26 the current network state
32 She always believed in the old adage -- leave them while you're looking good.
33 -- Anita Loos, "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"